Proper noun in English grammar is one of the kinds of nouns. It is an essential subject of grammar.
You know there are five kinds of nouns. They are written below-
- Proper Noun
- Common Noun
- Collective Noun
- Abstract Noun
- Material Noun
In this article, we will discuss the definition of the proper noun and its examples. We will also see some exercises of proper noun with answers. There will be an explanation of the responses as well.
So let us start the subject of the proper noun in English grammar with definition.
Definition of Proper Noun
See the following definition of proper noun.
A proper noun is the name of a particular person, place or thing.
You can easily understand with the example. See below.
Amit went to Allahabad to buy an umbrella.
Here in the sentence, Amit is a particular name of a person. Allahabad is a particular name of a place. Therefore, we can say that Amit and Allahabad are nouns.
Note: A proper noun always begins with a capital letter.
lucknow is the capital of uttar pradesh in india.
The above sentence should be written like this.
Lucknow is the capital of Uttar Pradesh in India.
Proper noun do not take articles before them. They do not have plural forms as well.
For more details of the subject, you can see the definition of proper noun with examples.
Exercises of Proper Noun
Identify the proper noun in the following sentences of proper noun in English grammar and rewrite them with proper capitalization.
- have you seen the taj mahal of agra?
- shimla is one of the most beautiful places of india.
- patna is the capital of bihar.
- saraswati sishu mandir is in atraith.
- urmila madam is from orisa.
Check your answers
Now check the answers of the proper noun in English Grammar.
- Have you seen the Taj Mahal of Agra?
- Shimla is one of the most beautiful places of India.
- Patna is the capital of Bihar.
- Saraswati Shishu Mandir is in Atraith.
- Urmila madam is from Orisa.
Here in the sentences, Taj Mahal, Agra, Shimla, India, Patna, Bihar, Saraswati Shishu Mandir, Atraith, Urmila, and Orisa are particular names of persons, places, or things. So, there are proper nouns and should be written with Capital letters.
For other proper noun exercises with answers, you can visit the link.
Now let us move the subject of the proper noun in English grammar with the next step.
Examples of proper noun in English grammar
Here in this section we will see some examples of proper noun that are asked in competitive exams. Let us discuss a list of proper noun examples in sentences.
- We have already discussed that a proper noun should start with a capital letter.
For example –
Amitesh, Ohio, Himalayas, etc.
- Sometimes you can use a proper noun as a common noun. It would be best if you used an article with it. See the following example.
Kalidas is called the Shakespeare of India.
Here in the sentence, Kalidas is compared with Shakespeare. Shakespeare is not here as a comparison but as his qualities. Keep in your mind if a proper noun comes with an article, it becomes a common noun. It starts showing its quality, not just a name.
You can see a detail list of proper noun examples in sentences here.
Congratulations! You are about to finish the subject of the proper noun in English Grammar. Let us move onto the last step.
List of Proper Noun Words
A list of proper noun words proves to be the most essential for you. See some of the proper noun words below.
- Name of the cities – Delhi, Los Angeles, Jipur
- Rivers’ name – The Ganga, The Yamua
- Name of the countries – Japan, Afica, China, India
- Name of the buildings – The Taj Mahal, The White House
- Our days of week – Sunday, Monday, etc.
Visit here for more detail of the list of proper noun words.
I hope you understand the proper noun in English Grammar well. Now move forward and study common noun or abstract noun.