Definition of common noun with examples is a part of noun in English grammar. You must know the definition of noun and then kinds of noun for better understanding. It is the detailed study of the definition of common noun with examples. You will find explanations also along with examples.
Let us start the subject without wasting time.
Definition of Common Noun with Examples
You can find a simple definition of common noun.
The words for people, places and things are called common nouns.
Let us see the definition in detail one by one.
Name of the things
The names of the things come first in the list of the definition of common noun with examples. All the standard terms of things are common nouns. See the list of examples given below.
- Chair – table – sofa – box
- ruler – rubber – compass – pencil
- book – bag – hanky – shoes
- television – fridge – washing machine – tub
- train – bus – car – bike
- computer – keyboard – mouse – monitor
- road – shop – room – house
Animals’ name comes second in the list of definition of common noun with examples. These common nouns are the words for animals, also including the young ones of them.
See the examples of animals and their young ones below –
- dog – puppy
- cat – kitten
- cow – calf
- horse – foal
- goat – kid
- fox – cub
- elephant – calf
- kangaroo – joey
- bear – cub
- lion – cub
Name of the places
The name of the places comes second in the list of definition of common noun with examples. These common nouns are the names of the places as well. See the example list below.
- restaurant – park
- supermarket – farm
- stadium – zoo
- synagogue – factory
- university – hotel
- office – library
- mosque – museum
- temple – mall
- shop – theatre
- bank – airport
Name of the professinals
Finally, the common nouns are the names for the professionals as well.
See the list below.
Let’s see some examples of the proper noun
Here are some sentences below. Fill them with suitable common nouns from box.
[Cartoonist, mimic, grocer, archaeologist, pawnbroker]
- This man is an …………… who studies old buildings and things.
- A …………. lends money on security.
- A ………….. is a person who mimics others.
- This man is a …………. who draws characters and images which are amusing.
- A …………. sells household goods.
Check your answers
- This man is an archaeologist who studies old buildings and things.
- A pawnbroker lends money on security.
- A mimic is a person who mimics others.
- This man is a cartoonist who draws characters and images which are amusing.
- A grocer sells household goods.
If you examine these sentences, you can find that archaeologists, pawnbrokers, mimic, cartoonists, and grocers are the names of persons. Therefore, they are nouns. Now the question is what kinds of nouns they are.
They are not the particular names of persons. They are the names that can be used for the whole class. It means they are generally used for every one of their levels. Therefore, they are common nouns.
If you understood the definition of common noun with examples, you can move onto the proper noun exercises with answers for your practice and more clarification.